Development Manager/Team Lead
On behalf of our client in Vancouver, Ignite Technical Resources is looking for a Development Team Lead/Manager for a full-time, permanent opportunity.
The Manager, Development provides team leadership to software developers and testers working in agile teams working on a diverse range of projects or tasks of varying complexity and scope. This position undertakes the more complex technical or operational work and provides technical direction and guidance to staff.
- Direct people leadership for software developers and testers on multiple (i.e. 3-7) agile teams while coordinating with other functional and technical groups such as Product Management and Operations.
- Owning, overseeing, and delegating the architecture, design, development, testing, release, and support of large-scale software applications, systems, platforms, services, or technologies.
- Defining and driving the multi-year technical vision for products.
- Driving project initiatives to deliver robust and scalable solutions, incorporating new technologies as appropriate.
- Working with engineers, product owners, and technical project managers to add new features to roadmaps, prioritize them, and facilitate delivery on requirements and functional specifications.
- Hiring and managing staff, including conducting performance evaluations, dealing with performance issues and developing staff training and development plans.
- Setting team performance objectives and metrics, allocating resources and managing performance and quality of results.
- Setting clear direction and expectations, keeping staff focused on objectives, and fostering a sense of urgency and dedication to meeting goals.
- Planning, organizing, managing and controlling the operation of the section in accordance with departmental objectives.
- Working closely with agile teams to assign and review work, monitor adherence to standards and practices, provide improvement feedbacks, and ensure successful completion of projects or tasks by the group.
- Developing and implementing operational and business policies, standards, systems, processes and best practices.
- Providing technical advice and direction to the team. Mentoring enterprise Java developers, front-end developers, and testers.
- Working closely with other managers in Technology with respect to the planning and management of the work and resolution of critical issues that could impact the accomplishment of objectives.
- Representing the team and Technology in meetings with clients, potential customers and representatives from other organizations.
- Ensuring a positive work environment and awareness by all staff of company goals and objectives and creating an environment oriented towards trust, open communication, creative thinking and cohesive team effort.
- Developing and leading change management initiatives and acting as a positive change agent to continually improve operations and results.
- Identifying, researching, facilitating and promoting business opportunities to ensure client increases its presence in the marketplace.
- A university degree in computer science (or equivalent) and a minimum of 12 years’ relevant experience in Development.
- At least 5 years of experience in managing a large or multiple small agile team(s).
The ability to develop mid-range business plans to establish annual business and resourcing plans, allocate resources and manage budgets.
- The ability to strategically identify opportunities to increase business and improve operational efficiencies.
- Highly developed analytical, problem solving, planning, time management, organizational and change management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to communicate with staff and as well as clients, to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Effective client management skills to manage issues and adapt easily to changing priorities and business needs.
- The ability to provide technical leadership and prioritize tasks, while working on multiple projects with conflicting deadlines in a team environment.
- Strong passion to stay current on the latest technologies and best practices.
- The ability to envision software services that meet consumer needs or solve business problems and develop specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver construction of enterprise Java systems in a fast paced, dynamic technical environment, including hands-on experience in enterprise Java software development, frameworks and software architecture.
- Experience with agile testing practices and tools with a focus on automation.
- Experience working with a wide range of technologies (including database management systems, version control systems, continuous integration systems) and web standards.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with technical resources to develop the best solution.
- Experience with establishing secure development policies and enforcing secure development best practices.
- Familiar with more than one software development methodology.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and customer service skills.
- Financial services industry experience, while not mandatory, will be considered a very strong asset.
Please note that only candidates who are eligible to work in Canada and willing to relocate will be considered. Sponsorship cannot be provided for relocation.
If you meet the required criteria and are interested in the above position, please submit a WORD version of your resume. Due to the volume of resumes, only those candidates being considered will be contacted.